Building a presentation - Part 2

Continuing from my last post,...

I decided to do a little more research into my audience, their backgrounds and perceptions.

What I uncovered
A few members of the audience have worked previously as business analysts. They are familiar with basic requirements gathering. None of them used requirements management tools and all attested to using MS Word.

As we have some Telelogic DOORS users at my company, some of the audience members had already seen the product and developed impressions about it such as,

I can't export my work (to MS Word.)
Why it's important
This information provided insight into how I can alter the content and structure of my presentation to be more effective to this group of individuals.
  1. I was originally thinking of doing 2 demos. One to show the loading / creation of requirements and the other to show how to link requirements together. However, it seems apparent that a 3rd demo on how to export a requirements document from Telelogic DOORS to MS Word-friendly formats is required. This demonstration would overcome the, "I can't export my work (to MS Word)," angst.
  2. The audience does have experience as business analysts; though I would say that collectively they do not have a lot of experience. Also, since they use MS Word, they are probably more used to writing full paragraphs and sentences versus atomic and easier to test requirements. Thus, I may want to include some examples on how to make requirement statements more clear.
  3. Because these individuals have done some requirements work in the past, I probably do not need to express why it is important to have good requirements.
  4. If they've only used MS Word documents, they have probably never really had decent requirement traceability and modularity. I'll want to show them the benefits of having these qualities.
  5. My audience will be composed mainly of people who I would say are logical thinkers. They like hearing facts and being shown proof!
Moving forward
Armed with this knowledge, I have a better idea of what type of material I need to cover and what things I don't. I also have some ideas on suitable approaches for them (e.g., logical arguments and demonstrations.) On to the next step of assembling material and defining my structure!

No comments: